United Advocates

How to File a Labour Complaint in Dubai Free Zones

If you work in a free zone in Dubai and face issues such as unpaid wages, problems with overtime pay, or late salary payments, you have the right to file a labour complaint. However, the process for filing a complaint is slightly different for free zone workers because most free zones in the UAE have their own employment regulations. Here’s everything you need to know about the process for free zone workers considering filing a labour complaint.

Labour Law Regulations in Free Zones

While most UAE free zones have independent employment regulations, these generally align with the UAE Labour Law. Exceptions include the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) and Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM), which have their own labour laws governing employment relationships within their jurisdictions.

Required Documents for Filing a Labour Complaint

There is no specific requirement for any documents as the free zone authorities will have access to all employment records. However, it is advisable to keep a copy of your passport and employment contract handy for ease of registration of any labour dispute.

Process for Filing a Labour Complaint for Free Zone Workers

  1. Contact the Free Zone Authority: The first step is to reach out to the free zone authority you are registered under and raise the issue. The free zone authority will contact your employer and attempt to mediate and resolve the dispute.
  2. Mediation: If mediation is unsuccessful, the authority will issue a document to the aggrieved party, such as a non-objection certificate or a referral letter. This document is necessary to file an employment dispute with the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MOHRE).

Filing a Labour Complaint Through MOHRE

There are two main ways to file a labour complaint with MOHRE: online or via the call centre.

Filing Your Complaint Online with MOHRE

  1. Access the Service: Visit the [MOHRE website](https://www.mohre.gov.ae/en/our-services/register-free-zone-complaint.aspx) and click on ‘start service’.
  2. Verification: Enter your full name and mobile number. You will receive a one-time password (OTP) on your phone. Enter the OTP on the website to verify your identity. Then, select whether you are an employee or a company.
  3. Application Form: You will be directed to an application form where you need to fill out the following information:

   – Name

   – The name of the company or employer

   – Employee mobile number

   – Employer mobile number

   – Free zone name

   – Nationality

   – Passport number

   – Date of the referral letter issued by the free zone

   – Location of the free zone labour office

  1. Upload Documents: Upload your referral letter and Emirates ID copy into the application form.
  2. Register Complaint: Click on ‘Register Complaint’.

After submitting the complaint, you will receive an SMS confirming the status of your application. MOHRE will follow up with you after reviewing the case.

Filing Your Complaint via Call Centre

– Call Centre: Labour Claims and Advisory Centre at 80084

By following these steps, free zone workers in Dubai can effectively file labour complaints and seek resolution for their employment issues.